Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

This is it - the day before I do not shop for me for 186 days.  My initial response is to Run! Forrest! Run! to Woodbury Commons. If I am going to succeed in understanding the purpose of this journey - to find fulfillment in life without excessive material items, then I must show restraint.  I know that my impulse to shop is not dead, and I know I will need a little help from my friends to work this through.

My focus is:  What makes you fulfilled in life? What brings that smile to your face?  What makes your heart ache with shear joy?

When I take a look at my favorite, cherished memories, they are of being with family and friends that do not require money.  

It is funny that my last spree or two, Ted simply said, "Model them for me!"  Not, "You spent how much!??"  Ted has never questioned my spending - ever.  One time at dinner, between bites he asked, "Now why did we need to get a new refrigerator?"
I replied:  "The light bulb was out."  Ted continued eating, nodding his head.

This is not a bet or a dare;  this is a journey that I hope leads me to a better understanding of life in its simplest form of happiness.

I will still go to Broadway plays.  I will still go on vacation.  I will get manicures and pedicures.  I am excited to see how much money and time I save by not going on the HUNT OF A LIFETIME.  I am more excited to see what I know do with my time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment